Pages

Susmita's stove!

Hello people!

Welcome to my kitchen. I learnt, and am learning how to cook by watching and mostly doing. I want to share my experiences of cooking which means more than sharing recipes. I also want to read about your experiences.

My recipes are mostly very easy because that's how I like it :D
If I can cook so can anyone, and of any age!! I also believe in using some latest gadgets to keep cooking away or lessen the usage of oil.

My recipes are mainly for first timers and those who love to experiment. Even though I try to follow the traditional practices of cooking, I realise I always enjoy experimenting.

So read my smack and slurp blogs and tell me how you feel. Also if you happen to try any of my recipes, do not forget to tell me how they turned out!!

Happy finger licking,
Susmita

Thursday, September 8, 2011

Baby potatoes with spring onions

Baby vegetables and baby green leaves are my absolute favourite. Their taste is truly unbeatable. It carries a sense of sweetness which is simply delectable. When I cook I mostly prefer using my desired or liked ingredients. Excepting a couple of vegetables, I've grown to like most of them which gives me a wide range to choose from.

This recipe uses baby potatoes, spring onions and some herbs. Commonly used western herbs, like rosemary and thyme, are now easily available in big or hyper markets. If you don't get them it's alright, there's nothing like our good old pudina(mint) and kothimeera(coriander) :D

I've twisted this recipe for Indian kitchens. Serves 4.

Ingredients:
1) Herbs - Rosemary, thyme, pudina and kothimeera (all in tiny cup each quantity)
2) Olive oil - 3-4 tea spoons (you can go up to 6 if you please)
3) Butter - 1 tea spoon
4) Baby Potatoes - 1 KG
P.S. Skin or not to skin potatoes is left to your discretion. If you give them a good wash you can leave the skin on.
5) Salt to taste
6) Tempering - left to your discretion.
7) White pepper - 2 good pinches. Same amount for black pepper if you have no white pepper at home.
8) Spring Onions - Bunch of 8 cut in small pieces.

Preparation - very easy :)



  1. In a small bowl add olive oil, all herbs, salt, pepper, and butter and mix them together well.
  2. In your pressure cooker throw in the baby potatoes and the mix.
  3. Keep your cooker in low flame (sim) and let one whistle go. P.S: if you fear that the potatoes will burn, place the ingredients in a steel bowl, add some water in it. Add water in the cooker and place the steel vessel in it for cooking.
  4. Meanwhile stir fry your spring onions in 2-3 tsp of olive oil and keep them aside.
  5. Once the whistle comes off stir fry the potatoes in a non stick pan and turn the flame off.
  6. Add the spring onions.
  7. Add more salt if necessary.
  8. Shift the dish into a bowl.

You are ready to serve. Do not add the regular spices to the dish. You will only corrupt it. I bet that you will love this dish.

You usually stir fry for Chinese dishes. For stir fry olive oil is the best. Here's how you stir fry:

  1. In the pan heat olive oil (5-6 tsp).
  2. Keeping the flame high add the ingredient.
  3. Fry for 2-3 minutes and remove into a bowl.
  4. Use the method to stir fry anything.


No comments:

Post a Comment