Pages

Susmita's stove!

Hello people!

Welcome to my kitchen. I learnt, and am learning how to cook by watching and mostly doing. I want to share my experiences of cooking which means more than sharing recipes. I also want to read about your experiences.

My recipes are mostly very easy because that's how I like it :D
If I can cook so can anyone, and of any age!! I also believe in using some latest gadgets to keep cooking away or lessen the usage of oil.

My recipes are mainly for first timers and those who love to experiment. Even though I try to follow the traditional practices of cooking, I realise I always enjoy experimenting.

So read my smack and slurp blogs and tell me how you feel. Also if you happen to try any of my recipes, do not forget to tell me how they turned out!!

Happy finger licking,
Susmita

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Simla Mirch/Capsicum/Bell pepper curry

Another of my favourite vegetable is capsicum aka bell pepper. I love all 3 colours of it. Pleasantly all 3 have a different and unique taste. The red one is a little sour, yellow one little sweet, and green needs to be blended in cooking for taste. This is a very easy recipe using all 3 colours. I love decorating my dining table with bell peppers. A bowl with all 3 colours in it makes the table look on fire!! smokinggggggggggggggggggg!

Well, I use olive oil for this dish. Thing about olive oil, even though it’s a late starter in India, it’s catching up real fast. If you are still unaware, olive oil is supposedly better than the regular vegetable oil we use. Not just health, olive oil brings a different flavour to the dish. Since it’s not so popular in India kitchens yet, if you have guests arriving, cook your regular dish in olive oil and you will notice an obvious difference in taste! No sweat :)

Serves 4-5 people.

Ingredients:

  1. long sliced capsicumOlive oil: 5-6 tea spoons.
  2. Tempering/tiragamota/popu
  3. Finely chopped green chillies: 3-4
  4. Finely chopped onions: 1 big
  5. Finely chopped garlic cloves: 4-5
  6. Finely sliced Capsicum (red, yellow and green): 2 each and deseeded.
  7. Salt to taste
  8. Everest/MDH sabzi or curry powder: 2 teaspoons (optional, this gives colour)
  9. One small glass water

Preparation:

  1. Add olive oil to the non stick pan.
  2. Add tempering.
  3. Add garlic and green chillies and fry for 2 minutes.
  4. Add onion and fry for 3 minutes
  5. Add curry powder and fry for another 2 minutes.capsicum-250
  6. Add water.
  7. Add the red and yellow capsicum slices and cook/saute for 5 minutes. (Red and yellow capsicum take longer to cook compared to green capsicum.)
  8. Add green capsicum slices and cook until the dish is tender.
  9. Garnish with coriander.

This curry is not about spice but about different flavours in one dish. It’s very easy to make,especially if you have guests, its a sure bet for an instant hit.

Improvisation: You may add cream for gravy and cook with more spices. You may add mushrooms. 

Susmita

Technorati Tags: ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Windows Live Tags: Olive oil,Simla mirch,Bell pepper,Simla,Mirch,Capsicum,Bell,Another,needs,recipe,bowl,dish,starter,India,health,guests,difference,Olive,Salt,Everest,glass,Preparation,Garnish,Improvisation,Susmita,Ingredients,curry,vegetable,colours,chillies,garlic

WordPress Tags: Olive oil,Simla mirch,Bell pepper,Simla,Mirch,Capsicum,Bell,Another,needs,recipe,bowl,dish,starter,India,health,guests,difference,Olive,Salt,Everest,glass,Preparation,Garnish,Improvisation,Susmita,Ingredients,curry,vegetable,colours,chillies,garlic

Blogger Labels: Olive oil,Simla mirch,Bell pepper,Simla,Mirch,Capsicum,Bell,Another,needs,recipe,bowl,dish,starter,India,health,guests,difference,Olive,Salt,Everest,glass,Preparation,Garnish,Improvisation,Susmita,Ingredients,curry,vegetable,colours,chillies,garlic

No comments:

Post a Comment