Pages

Susmita's stove!

Hello people!

Welcome to my kitchen. I learnt, and am learning how to cook by watching and mostly doing. I want to share my experiences of cooking which means more than sharing recipes. I also want to read about your experiences.

My recipes are mostly very easy because that's how I like it :D
If I can cook so can anyone, and of any age!! I also believe in using some latest gadgets to keep cooking away or lessen the usage of oil.

My recipes are mainly for first timers and those who love to experiment. Even though I try to follow the traditional practices of cooking, I realise I always enjoy experimenting.

So read my smack and slurp blogs and tell me how you feel. Also if you happen to try any of my recipes, do not forget to tell me how they turned out!!

Happy finger licking,
Susmita

Saturday, September 3, 2011

Pudina Kothimeera pacchadi (chutney)

Trust the telugus to make a pacchadi out of anything. A leaf, vegetable and even a root!! What is traditionally called the rotu pacchadi is a favourite of all, young and old. Some famous pacchadlu are pudina kothimeera pacchadi, beerakaya pacchadi, carrot cabbage pacchadi .. well the list goes on. Like I said hand us an eatable and we'll make a pacchadi out of it.

Pudina kothimeera is not just a favourite of the masses but also extremely easy to make. Traditional preparation of this pacchadi requires only 4 ingredients.
1) Pudina/mint leaves - 4-5 bunches
2)Kothimeera/coriander leaves - 3-4 bunches or less if you want pudina to dominate
3)7-8 green chillies cut into small pieces. Mostly depending on your taste buds, more or less
Pudina/Mint leaves
4)1 teaspoon chintapandu (tamarind) , you can even use the same amount of tamarind paste if you have it ready.
5)Salt to taste

Tempering (tiragamota/popu) is left to your discretion. Most pacchadis tend to enhance their taste when tempering is added in the end. I sometimes ignore it.


Prepation:
1)In your non stick pan add 2-3 tea spoons of oil.
2)Once hot add pudina, kothimeera, tamarind, and green chillies to the pan.
3)Add salt and cover to let it cook in its own steam on low flame.
4)After about 10 min either move the ingredients into a plate and let them cool, preferably under the fan, or take the pan itself to cool under the fan.
5)Once cool, grind them in the blender. 2 rounds of grinding is usually enough.
6)Add little water if you feel the pacchadi requires moistness.
6)Depending on hotness, add more chillies. If you feel you've overdone the chillies, add a tea spoon of sugar or a small piece of bellam (jaggery) and blend once more.

Your pacchadi is ready.
Sometimes I get adventurous and add onion, tomato, ginger, garlic along with the above ingredients. I like that taste too. You can try that if you want a change from usual. But remember pudina+kothimeera's taste should not be dominated. That's the whole idea :D

Susmita

No comments:

Post a Comment