Pages

Susmita's stove!

Hello people!

Welcome to my kitchen. I learnt, and am learning how to cook by watching and mostly doing. I want to share my experiences of cooking which means more than sharing recipes. I also want to read about your experiences.

My recipes are mostly very easy because that's how I like it :D
If I can cook so can anyone, and of any age!! I also believe in using some latest gadgets to keep cooking away or lessen the usage of oil.

My recipes are mainly for first timers and those who love to experiment. Even though I try to follow the traditional practices of cooking, I realise I always enjoy experimenting.

So read my smack and slurp blogs and tell me how you feel. Also if you happen to try any of my recipes, do not forget to tell me how they turned out!!

Happy finger licking,
Susmita

Saturday, September 10, 2011

Beerakaya pottu pacchadi – Ridge gourd’s skin chutney

 

I love beerakaya or beerakaya pottu pacchadi. Plus this vegetable is one of the easiest to work with, needs almost no oil, and cooks fast. It’s skin is not a waste and is just as tasty too. You don’t have to buy ridge gourd just to peel the skin and make chutney out of it. Whenever you peel save the skin.

Do not refrigerate it. Best way is to wrap it tightly with a newspaper and put it in a corner in the kitchen. Add more to it whenever you peel the skin. This recipe will give you measures for 4-5 beerakaya skin. You can make instant pacchadi with the skin of 1 beerakaya also.

Ingredients:

  1. Beerakaya pottu: skin of 4-5 ridge gourds
  2. Green chillies: 7beerakaya pottu/ridge gourd peel
  3. Tomatoes: 3
  4. Salt to taste
  5. Garlic: 3-4 cloves
  6. Ginger: 1 teaspoon full of pieces
  7. Lemon rind: 1/2 tea spoon (optional)
  8. Lemon juice: 1 table spoon (optional)

Preparation:

  1. Heat 3-4 tea spoons of oil in the pan.
  2. Fry ginger and garlic pieces for a minute.
  3. Add beerakaya pottu and fry for 5 minutes.
  4. Toss all the other ingredients barring lemon juice into the pan and cover with lid.
  5. In medium flame let the ingredients cook for 10 – 15 minutes.
  6. Cool all for a while.
  7. Once cool transfer the ingredients into the blender.
  8. Blend until you get a smooth consistency. Add little water for moisture and easy blending.
  9. Add lemon juice in the end and mix with a spoon.

Your pacchadi is ready.

Susmita

1 comment:

  1. Peerkangai Thol Thogayal:

    Susmita if you really like the skin part in this particular vegetable try this recipe, It is so yum..
    Ingredients:
    Ridge Gourd Peel – 1 1/2 cup
    Urad Dal – 2 tsp
    Channa Dal – 2 tsp
    Red Chillies – 4 or add 6 if you want it more spicy
    Tamarind – small pebble size
    Coconut (grated) – 2 tbsp
    Curry leaves – a few
    Oil – 1 tbsp
    Salt – to taste

    Preparation:
    Heat oil in a pan and the channa dal followed by urad dal and red chillies.
    Fry them for 2 minutes and add the curry leaves followed by the ridge gourd peel
    Fry till they become soft and then add the coconut and fry for 2 minutes.
    Remove it from the heat and let it cool.
    Add the tamarind and salt and grind it to coarse paste.
    Mix the paste with rice n ghee or you can have this as a side dish for dosa/ idly

    ReplyDelete