Pages

Susmita's stove!

Hello people!

Welcome to my kitchen. I learnt, and am learning how to cook by watching and mostly doing. I want to share my experiences of cooking which means more than sharing recipes. I also want to read about your experiences.

My recipes are mostly very easy because that's how I like it :D
If I can cook so can anyone, and of any age!! I also believe in using some latest gadgets to keep cooking away or lessen the usage of oil.

My recipes are mainly for first timers and those who love to experiment. Even though I try to follow the traditional practices of cooking, I realise I always enjoy experimenting.

So read my smack and slurp blogs and tell me how you feel. Also if you happen to try any of my recipes, do not forget to tell me how they turned out!!

Happy finger licking,
Susmita

Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Kobbari pacchadi - Coconut chutney

I love kobbari (coconut) pacchadi (chutney). Especially when Mom makes it. There's something about coconut that melts my heart. Kobbari is a common ingredient found in South Indian homes. South Indians use coconut in most of their dishes. There are many sweets which are made out of coconut as the base. Coconuts are also offered to God and its water is a favourite drink especially during summers.

So I had a lot of coconut at home. Well, typically after a festival most homes end up having a stock of coconut. If you notice, the couple of weeks post a festival always sees a rush of coconut based curries, chutneys, rasams, and sweets.

I had never made kobbari pacchadi before. But have seen it being made since my childhood. So I told myself, it can't be anymore difficult that making pudina (mint leaves) or beerakaya (ridge gourd) pacchadi.

Here is the most common recipe for kobbari pacchadi which will serve 4:
Ingredients:

Kobbari Pacchadi

  1. Coconut: 2
  2. Green chillies: 4-5 (more if you like it hot)
  3. Salt to taste
  4. Tomato: 3 regular size
  5. Turmeric: 2-3 pinches (this adds yellow colour to the pacchadi)
  6. Tempering at the end

Preparation:

  1. Add 2-3 tea spoons of oil to you non stick pan.
  2. Add green chillies and tomato into the pan and cover.
  3. Let it cook for 5-10 minutes.
  4. Remove from stove and cool.
  5. In your blender add the cooled chillies, tomatoes, pieces of coconut, and salt to taste.
  6. Add some water and blend for a few minutes.
  7. Blend at all levels for a few seconds each.
  8. Remove the cover of the blender and add turmeric.
  9. Blend once again repeating steps 5 and 6.
  10. Add more salt if needed.
  11. Add tempering to the pacchadi and take it into a bowl.

Your typical telugu style kobbari pacchadi is ready. This will hardly take you 15 minutes.

Susmita

No comments:

Post a Comment